Wednesday, May 5, 2010

5 year check up

When I called to make the boys 5 year old appointment I originally got April 21st as the date. Unfortunately, this was my math competition day so I had to call and reschedule, when I did this I was told the boys had to have to different appointment times. At first I wasn't very happy about this, but warmed up to it pretty quickly. I would be able to spend some quality time with each boy and maybe do something else special.

So Tyler's appointment was first at 9:30 in the morning. My original plan was to grab some breakfast with him before his appointment time, but traffic was awful! This was right after the flooding roads were still closed and there was only one way into downtown, so traffic was BAD! Luckily, I brought some breakfast with us just in case!

So, Tyler and I were a little early, but we did have to fill out the paperwork. As part of the paperwork I had to ask Tyler certain questions. One of the things he had to do was draw a picture, which I thought was pretty funny. Look at his picture, I labeled it so that the doctor would know what those pieces were. Notice he included the brain and heart and then he mentioned that his little boy needed a haircut and was wearing mittens. What imagination!The boys have always been small for their age and this time it was no different! Tyler weighed in at 38 pounds and was 41 3/4 inches tall, which is under the 20th percent.
Tyler was embarrassed about having to undress in front of the nurse! He also kept asking if he was going have to get shots and that he didn't want to get any shots! Of course, after seeing Dr. Roads I learned he was going to have to get 4 shots and a finger prick! Poor baby! When Tyler saw the nurse come in with the shots he hid under the table and I had to actually go get him! And during the shots he kept saying, "Please stop, please!" But he made it through and is now ready for Kindergarten!
By the time Tyler and I finished up, I had just enough time to run him to daycare and get Tanner. It took me a little less time than anticipated, so Tyler and I ran to McDonalds for some lunch. I think he enjoyed this time with me! I asked him if he was going to tell Tanner about the shots and he said, "No way!"
Tanner had eaten lunch at daycare, but they had some things he doesn't like. So I ran through the drive through with him, plus he wanted a "car like Tyler".
Tanners picture was different, he asked me if he should draw a girl or a boy. I told him a girl so this is what he drew...a girl with really BIG hair! Tanner was the same height as Tyler, but weighed more at 39.5 pounds. He kept asking about shots and I would ask him if Tyler said something about shots and he said no, but...?
Tanner ran when he saw the nurse come in with the shots! He to was very upset about the shots and kept saying, "Stop, please, no more!" Dr. Roads came back in after Tanners shots and said, "Well they can scream, but they sure are polite...both asked to stop please!"

Tanner complained for days about the shots, saying his legs hurt and he couldn't walk! Both boys are excited about starting school and this was just one last hurdle to jump to get there!

3 comments:

  1. poor things that is awful they had to have 4 shots each:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the pics, esp needing a haircut, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. poor boys..my kids didn't want to go to school because of the shots!

    ReplyDelete