Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Kindergarten Round Up

Tonight was Kindergarten Round Up for the boys. They will be starting school in the fall at Liberty! I cannot believe how big they have gotten and that they are going to be starting school.

The Kindergarten Round Up allows parents and students to visit their new school and check it out. At Liberty, we were divided into three groups. One group toured the school, another visited actual classrooms and the last registered.

We had a T-ball game to get to so I had to hurry this along. I decided to go visit the actual classroom first. They boys really enjoyed checking out the room. Tyler kept saying, "I want this to be my room." Which I thought was cute. Tanner and especially Tyler have really been excited about starting school. They were so disappointed when they turned 5 and didn't get to go to school immediately.

I probably expect to much and being a teacher myself, I think makes me expect more. One of my biggest questions for the teacher was "Did the teachers work closely together? Planning and doing many of the same activities and assignments?" I know that is what I do. Beth and I work very closely together like this. Unfortunately, I did not get the answer I was hoping for. The teacher said because of materials they cannot do that. So, I decided to go somewhere else.

I found the principal. I happened to know of the her, she actually had twin sons that went through NPMS a couple years ago. So, I approached her and mentioned my concerns and how if possible I would like Tanner and Tyler to be placed in two separate classrooms that the teachers work closely together, doing many of the same activities and assignments.

At this point and time it would be very hard to explain to one or the other, "I am sorry, your brother had less homework than you. He gets to go play or watch TV and you don't?"

Anyways, Ms. M was very nice. She knows what it is like after all to have two children in the same grade. So, she said she will try to remember their names and I needed to write a little note on their enrollment papers. Great! ( I also mentioned, Tyler needs a very patient teacher!)

It was pretty neat to walk around and learn about the school the boys will be going to. I was very excited to learn that next year, Liberty will have 10 Kindergarten classrooms. This is because of a grant that they are receiving to lower class sizes and see if it has an effect on learning. Because of this there should be no more than 13 or so students in each class...how great is that?!

After checking out the classroom and getting a personal tour of the school by the Principal. We left for our T-ball game with Kinder packet in hand. The boys were very excited about their Kinder packet and when we got home had to look through it.

Funny note: After leaving the school, I asked the boys if they were excited about their new school. Tanner said, "Yes, especially recess!" How funny already picking non academic areas as the best!

I hope their excitement continues...I would like to see them do well in the school years to come!

1 comment:

  1. that's so great about the 10 teachers! we only had 5 after they added another 3 weeks in. they had 20 or more per class :(

    ReplyDelete