Sunday, August 15, 2010

First Day of Kindergarten

The day has finally come...Tanner and Tyler are starting Kindergarten. You may think me crazy, but I have been looking forward to this day. Maybe its because I am a teacher, maybe not, but I have thought about this for awhile, what kind of teacher will they get, what kind of student will they be, what will they learn, how will they grow, and the list goes on and on and on...

I can't tell you how many times, I was asked "Are you going to cry?" or "Did you cry?" No, I didn't, why cry I am excited, this is a new step, one we all have been looking forward to!

We arrived at Liberty, where I took the typical firs day pictures in front of the school. We weren't sure Tyler was going to make it, he was the last of the three to get the stomach bug that passed around the house and he seemed to get it worse than the other two. He was sick yesterday, but this morning seems to be doing ok. Tyler, even not feeling 100%, was excited and worried that he might not be able to come. Thomas was worried that Tyler might still be sick so he made a big deal about me going with him, just in case! Thanks Thomas!
Tanner, my big boy, couldn't wait to get to his classroom and meet his teacher.
The school didn't want the Kindergartners at the school till 9:30, when we got there we went to the cafeteria where they called out the class rolls. The cafeteria was full!
The teachers and principal come and in and get right to business. Tyler's name is called for the 2nd class, Ms. Randolph. (Funny comment, Ms. Randolph was probably the oldest teacher in the group of about 10 and Thomas said, he kept thinking..."Please don't pick one of the boys." Tough luck!) Tyler and I head to Ms. Randolph's room with about 11 other children. Ms. Randolph made a point of making each child feel welcome, she had a goody bag ready at the tables for each child. I think she will be a good fit for Tyler. She has about 20 years experience mostly teaching Kindergarten and seems very confident. She is about full day rigorous Kindergarten, they will not take naps. She had about 6 computers in the room where she said they will do math and language on. I think she will have the patience to work well with Tyler. (On a side note, I actually worked with her at NPMS (sort of) for a few years...she said she put her time in middle school and that was enough, this was where her heart was!)
Thomas and Tanner got called in about the 5th class, Mrs. Geer. Since I didn't get to go down there, I don't know how I feel about Mrs. Geer. Thomas told me she was a new teacher, I thought he meant new, new, which had me concerned, but no only new to CMCSS. I guess she is a military wife who just transferred in. I didn't get a great vibe when I found out that she didn't even have a color sheet for the students to work on while the parents filled out the paperwork, but she did pull all the kids aside and read them a story.
After finishing in Tyler's room, we all walked back down to Tanners room where I introduced myself and looked around very briefly. She did send home a daily schedule which gives me an idea of what they will be working on and when. And Tanner will have a 20 minute rest period, just long enough to fall asleep and have to wake up suddenly! Tanner seemed to like Mrs. Geers room and that's what is important!
I had asked the school to put the boys in two classrooms that the teachers work well together, I don't think I got that. By the looks of the supply lists and just some of the differences I have heard about I think they will be two different rooms, but we will see. I asked Ms. Randolph if she worked with Mrs. Geer, she said sort of that she was Mrs. Geers mentor teacher.
After finishing up at the school we took the boys to McDonalds for lunch, before I had to head back to work. My principal was nice enough to let me go with the boys for their first day, but I had to go back for the meetings in the afternoon.
Daddy had the whole day off and since Tyler was doing good, he decided to take them bowling since we still had free bowling coupons.
What a great start to hopefully a great year!

No comments:

Post a Comment