Sunday, August 15, 2010

Tylers Full First Day

Tyler was assigned to Tuesday as his testing day. It would be his first full day and he would be riding the bus from the daycare to school and back again, because I had to work. He was super excited about riding the bus when I dropped him off at daycare that morning. I left my camera with daycare and they took a picture of him climbing on board the bus this morning.
My school gets out at 2:30 and the boys bus won't be at the daycare till about 4:10. This works out nicely for me because I have time, where I can work after school or go shopping as needed and then be able to meet the kids at the end of the day and focus on them in the evening. I was rushed this afternoon, because I was still working on school stuff and did have to run to the store, but I made it! Tyler was the last off the bus, but at least he came off the right bus!
I had decided to grab a note pad and interview the boys about their first day and trying to get answers from Tyler was like pulling teeth, but this is what he had to say about his first day:
"How was your day?"
"Good"
-
"Did you do anything fun?"
"Played with a new friend and Ms. Randolphs action figures."
-
"Were you by yourself?"
"No"
"Who else was there, boys or girls?"
"Two more boys came in"
"Do you know what their names were?"
"No"
-
"How did you like riding the bus?"
"It was AWESOME, I loved it!"
-
"What did you eat for lunch?"
"I don't remember."
"Did you get cafeteria lunch?"
"Yes"
"Did you get milk?"
"Yes, chocolate."
"Do you remember your lunch number?"
"Yes"
"Did you get to type it in, like I told you?"
"No"
-
"Did you go anywhere besides your class?"
"Yea, art."
"Did you make anything?"
"They told us to make dots. A bunch of dots."
-
The purpose of these first two weeks was to test the new students. So, I was curious what was tested on this first day.
"Did you do your ABC's?"
"No"
"Write your name?"
"Yup"
"Draw a picture of a person?"
"We had to draw a picture of our self!"
-
"Do you want to go back to school?"
"Yeah!"

I have often worried about Tyler at school and having to follow rules and directions on a regular basis. I had hoped that Tyler would be on his best behavior, but he did come home with two x's, one for not following directions in centers and the other for talking out. I do realize this is learning time for him and have confidence that he will learn to be that good student!

No comments:

Post a Comment