Monday, July 12, 2010

Santa in July???

Today as we were driving home, Tanner started an interesting line of conversation:

Tanner - "I bet Santa brings presents to the kids that live in the North Pole every night."
Me - "I don't think so, Santa needs to help the elves to make the toys for next Christmas, plus he needs to rest before Christmas comes again."

Anyways this led to 10 minutes of conversation about Santa and Christmas all in July! Some of the highlights I can remember:

One of the boys asked how far away Christmas was, I said about 6 months, "Wow that's a long time!"

Tyler started asking about gifts and remembered presents he got from 2 Christmas' ago! He also asked me what I got from Christmas, "I don't remember" was my reply.

Then they were asking whether Santa brings adults presents and I said sometimes, yes. Which prompted the question, "Does Santa make the adults gifts in his workshop also?"

"Why doesn't Santa like the sun?"
"Santa likes the sun."-me
"Why doesn't he bring presents during the day."
"Because he does his work at night. That one night a year, he goes around to all the houses and delivers presents and sleeps during the day."-me

"Santa has a sleigh?"
"Yes, that's like his car."-my reply
"Why doesn't he have a car?"
"He has a sleigh, its easier to get around on snow."-me again
"Is there still snow at the North Pole?"
"Yes."-me

Thomas once told me, you can have some good conversations with the kids if you don't let them watch tv in the car. At that point they had been watching more and more tv in the car. So, I have been trying to do better and we have gotten to a point where they don't ask everytime, what an accomplishment!

When this conversation had started we had all been quiet for a minute and it came out of nowhere. Its interesting where the mind of a 5 year old is sometimes!

No comments:

Post a Comment