Saturday, June 5, 2010

Canning Party

My friend Laura recently got a house party from houseparty.com, this party was a Ball Canning Party! I had heard of canning before, but had never done it. Of course everything I knew about canning was from old way, with the big pressure cooker and the dangers of explosions and stuff. So this was one of those things I was very leery of!

This was a very good house party...Laura got a lot of great things in her package, including a big pots, coupons for free jars and so much more.

It was very informative to watch and not as difficult as I thought. The pressure cooker isn't needed anymore, so that's a big sigh of relief. The ease of canning was really shown and this party ALMOST made me want to do it at home...almost!
To prepare for this party, Laura had to cut up a bunch of ingredients! She had even practiced the canning process a few days before and made the Zesty Salsa to show off and share, but we made a new batch so that's what I brought home!
The party guests each had to be an active participant in the salsa making and constant stirring of the vegetables.
Strawberry jam was also made and the first step is smashing the strawberries...which aren't the easiest to smash!
I took a break from canning to help with baby Loni...I still have the touch, she fell asleep!
Melissa and Joy helped a lot with the strawberry jam preparations!

The canning process was a lot easier than I expected and if my garden ever gets big enough maybe I would consider it. This was a fun experience, but in the end it would still be a lot of work!

1 comment:

  1. glad you had fun! several people want to have another maybe for beans and tomatoes later. :) i'm stealing these pics b/c i haven't done my blog about it yet. :)

    ReplyDelete